Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:54:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Talk Knitting Discussion Chat Forums - The Wool Shack
|-+  Knitting hints and help, tips and tricks
| |-+  Knitting Basics
| | |-+  converting 8ply pattern to 4 ply..how?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: converting 8ply pattern to 4 ply..how?  (Read 9428 times)
lotsakids
Wool Shack Newcomer

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »

hi..I am new to this great forum..not to knitting, have been doing that for years..BUT I am not great at converting patterns for different ply wools...could anyone give me some hints on how to make it easy please.

I have a pattern for an 8 ply nappy soaker, and want to make it with 4 ply wool..how do I go about converting it. I dont want to use double wool.....thanks..janine

janine, mum of 8, or 9 if you include the other half
Cathy
Wool Shack Goddess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 08:30:57 AM »

Cheesy Good morning, just had to say hi,lots of kids!! someone like us , I have 5 sons so our family is 7, not far behind you.
How do you go finding time to knit,I put out a decree that house work is out for the day as I start a new project,then try to set an hour aside each night to work on it. I have been working since May as a school gardener so am even more pushed for time .Big families are fun aren't they!
Sorry I can't help with ply conversion, Sad I have often wondered if you use the large size in the pattern with the smaller ply ,but haven't got around to trying it,
Cheers Cathy Cool

http//myfivesons.blogspot.com
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:24:48 AM »

This involves a little maths but what you have to do is take your new gauge and divide it by the one given in the pattern then multiply everything by the answer.
So say the pattern calls for 21sts to 10cm (2.1sts/cm) & your new gauge is 24sts to 10cm (2.4sts/cm) you divide 2.4 by 2.1 = 1.142
Now you multiply all your numbers by 1.142, so say it says to cast on 30 sts you multiply 30 by 1.142 which means you actually have to cast on 34sts.

I hope this makes sense.

Katie
http://knitobsessed.blogspot.com
http://live2knit-shop.blogspot.com
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 12:31:27 PM »

ooh thankyou..i can do that..if not then i'll con my mathswhizz son into helping..lol..

housework?...whats that?

i am planning on shuffling the kids off to school tomorrow [well the 6 big ones anyhow] and having a quiet day with me and my knitting..I make nappy soakers amongst other things and i want to experiment with some fancy wool i have. might make one up with some cheapy wool first to make sure its going to work...janine
shazknits66
Wool Shack Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »

Hi Janine, I don't know how you get the time huh what exactly are nappy soakers, excuse my ignorance, I did use disposables with my 3 so maybe that is why I haven't heard of them Smiley
Sharon
http://shazknit.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.  Proverbs 31:13
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:09:09 PM »

nappy soakers are like woolen pants that go over cloth nappies instead of the el cheapo plastic pants. The woolen ones are usually made of pure wool, and are lanolized which sort of waterproofs them while making them breatheable and heaps better for babys bums. They dont turn into the saunas that the plastic pants do, and the lanolin actually neutralizes the urine. I think there are a few on ebay for sale if you want to have a look, and they are very popular amongst cloth nappy folk...

I'll show a pic when i have finished the latest one...janine
JamesCurl
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 11:09:44 AM »

Yeah, you are right man! Sad
ann
Wool Shack Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »

With all the gorgeous patterns available why would you bother!!!!!

I'm a bit like Bruce's spider: try, try again
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length