Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:29:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Talk Knitting Discussion Chat Forums - The Wool Shack
|-+  Knitting hints and help, tips and tricks
| |-+  Circular Knitting
| | |-+  Help! How to avoid twisting stitches - new to circular
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help! How to avoid twisting stitches - new to circular  (Read 6082 times)
lindagoncher
« on: August 08, 2003, 02:15:03 AM »

Hi all,
I'm new to this website & I just started working on circulars, after 20+ yrs. of knitting on straight knitting.  I wonder if I'm doing it right -- I've only done 20 rows (doing the ribbing K1,P1) and I have to struggle to move the stitches along, as they are bunching up around the needle.  I have about 236 stitches on a size 24" circular needle.  The stitches are loose enough, very easy to push along.  But the material is twirling around the needle, in tight band.  As I move the stitches along, I have to untwirl the bulk every 7 stitches or so.  Is this normal?  After I knit these stitches, they look straight enough on the right hand needle.

I've heard about "twisted stitches".  Is this it?  Or is it because I have so many stitches on a 24" needle?  Will it loosen up after I finish the ribbing & work on the body of the sweater, giving weight to the sweater as I knit along?

I do love circular over flat knitting.  Please, help, I hope I am doing this right.  I've invested weeks on these already.     Sad  cry
annette
Wool Shack Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 12:22:21 PM »

Hi Linda, I have the same problem and would be very inteested to know the solution.  It is hard work constantly untwisting and, I had 150 stitches ion a 32" cirsular so I don't think length is the answer.
regards, Annette
littlemaze
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 10:58:11 AM »

Last weekend, for the first time, I decided to knit my husband a jumper "in the round".  Previously, I had only knitted flat pieces and joined them when I had finished.  Because this jumper in in 5ply, my husband is a L to XL, and it is a basic jumper, I thought I would give knitting in the round a go.

Weeellllll......I knitted the rib band, 2cm, and about 5cm of stocking stitch.  I wanted my husband to try it on for size so I took the knitting off the circular needles.  What I discovered was that I had twisted the first row and ended up with a tube of knitting in a figure of 8  cry  . There is no way I could fix this (you would have to cut the tube???) so I spent the rest of the afternoon ripping it out, recasting 286 stitches back on and checking my first row upteen times to make sure that all the bottom of the first row was sitting on the bottom and that the row hadn't twirled around the needle.  (bit hard to explain).  

So, before going any further, I would suggest that you take your knitting off the needles and see if the tube is a cylindrical tube and not a tube with twists in it.  Hope you understand what I'm trying to describe.

I think this is what books refer to as twisted stitches?Huh

Regards,

Littlemaze.
thevalkyry
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 06:14:28 PM »

Ok... I feel I can offer some advice here because I have never, not once, ever twisted my knitting in the round. Smiley

What I do is this:
After casting on, I place it on a table top and make sure that all my stitches are facing the same way.  Then you can either pick it up and knit that first stitch -- or if you're more paranoid then drag it to the edge of the table and knit your first stitch with everything nicely against a hard surface and not twisted.  Once you get the first one correct you are usually correct.

Hope this helps! -Vanessa in TX
fairy
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 07:28:33 PM »

im knitting a clothing wear for my chihuahua dog
and it asks me to knit with the circular needle
i followed a book's pattern
it asks me to leave 26 stitches on a stitch holder
and then told me to knit with the 3.25 mm circular needle
start from the middle of my work to the back, asks me to knit up 36 stitches and then knit the 26 stitches on the stitch holder and then knit another 36 stitches
is anyone able to hepl me?
i really need help for this as i dont know how to finish my dog's clothing wear
thank you
pls email me at: special_fairy@hotmail.com
or vin_astary@yahoo.com.au
vina_a
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 06:24:24 PM »

mmm the book is by Patons called It's A Dogs Life
im making style number 11
so anyoneee that have this book or have done it
please help me with the body bands
im stuck on it plsss or can someone tell me where to get help thank youuuu
procrastinating
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:59:13 PM »

So I have been doing a bit of circular work for abt a year or two. I keep an eye on my starting rows and haven't had any probs with twisting, although I think the figure 8 might be a moebius strip?

Anyway...

Your yarn might be particularily 'twisty' yarn. This produces (sometimes) more of a |/ instead of a \/ from some knitters' stocking stitch, so it could be the yarn.

The first poster suggested the amount of stiches might be too much on the circ but the second poster said theirs was fine, but I would suggest that it may be the case.

How about trying some different needles? My circs are dodgy brothers brand aluminium and everyone always writes about addi turbos or bamboo or wood needles, and how they are great for different types of yarn. This would make a big difference especially if you have a big project.

Re: needles as well, the join between the needle and the cord on some brands catch the stitches and it would easily produce a bunching.

It's possible the friction or something from the needles are bunching up the yarn as the new stitches are being made. Once the new stitches are on the cord part it's not noticed so much.

Also circs and knitting on the left hand (continental) are big in the US. It could help to try and knit continental...

that's my two cents hope the suggestions help  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length